Thursday, August 26, 2010

Surprise!

So it has been a while since I've written anything on here. So in my last post, I was talking about relaxing at our cabin/lodge before going to get ready. We had all sorts of room there, so the pre-getting ready was effortless.

We drove out to the church, and I parked my car front and center. The grooms room was a little tight, but at least it was very well air conditioned. We all took our time, got ready, and just hung out.

Then came time for me to step outside and wait for my bride. Picture this: Late August, Augusta is in the south, late afternoon, not to mention nerves for seeing her for the first time. Oh and yeah, 100% wool tux. Doesn't reading that just make you sweat? Well I sure was.

I was told to stand outside, facing a red side door to the church. I had an idea of what was happening, but I mean, who knows how long I'd have to wait and how it was going to go. The suspense was thrilling in a way. Corrie had spent months and months looking for this perfect dress, and getting everything ready for the big day. She has seen me in a tux before (at least in pictures) so my wardrobe wasn't really of concern. (I did look good though).

I didn't even hear her coming up behind me. Maybe it was my nerves, maybe it was just the sounds of downtown Augusta echoing in the courtyard that we were in. I felt a hand take mine from behind. I turned around and saw, for the very first time, my beautiful bride. In that moment, even with everything going on, I stopped sweating. My nerves relaxed, my body cooled itself, and that moment I just... stopped sweating. It was like all of my stress, worry, nerves... Just gone. Joy swept over me; Time slowed down. Cars in the background moved slowly. That moment of sheer joy was frozen in time. As the moment set in, everything sped back up. I can't remember what was said, just that we both had huge smiles on our face. Everything was taking shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment